Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ordinary Objects

Two ordinary objects have become permanent fixtures in my office lately:  Balloons and clothes baskets

I wanted to share a few quick ways you can use these inexpensive items, which 99% of us already have at our houses, in your counseling office.  My first post will focus on clothes baskets.



Clothes Baskets:
1.  Goal Setting:  I am doing a "7 Habits of Happy/Highly Effective Kids" small group right now, and I absolutely LOVED the goal setting lesson I did with my students using clothes baskets.  It was an idea I adapted from a Goal Setting presentation at last year's NCSCA Conference (wish I could remember the speaker's name to give credit! Email me if you recognize this activity).

I took my students into the gym during the PE teachers' lunch break.  I had them all stand on one side of the gym and gave them each a frog (you could use a stress ball, rubber ball, etc.).  In the first round, I had them cover their eyes and try to get the frog in their basket. I placed three baskets out for five students so they would have more space for their throwing.  We related this action to going through the school year without an idea or vision for where you are going.

During the second round, I took all three baskets and placed them on the opposite side of the gym, about 30 feet away from the students.  We related this basket "attempt" to choosing goals that are too hard.  In the third round, the baskets were placed right in front of their feet. The students immediately knew that this round showed the goal was too easy.  In the fourth round, the baskets were placed about 10 feet way to signify an appropriate, challenging goal. Most of the students made the basket by their second attempt, but a few took three or four tries. Finally, I held one of the baskets in the fifth round and "assisted" them by moving the basket as they made their toss. We related this round to teachers, parents, and school counselors who will support students in reaching their goals, which can make things easier. 



 

2. Icebreaker Time:  Kids LOVE to try and toss my frogs in the clothes basket when we meet for individual counseling, especially kids that have a hard time sitting still or feel uncomfortable with traditional "talking" at a table.  I find they open up and are much more relaxed if we start talking while playing the frog toss game.  Sometimes we will even take turns and switch once we have gotten a certain number of frogs in the basket.

At first, I was just putting the basket on the other side of my office so I could take shots with my students, but then I got the bright idea of hanging it on a hook that has randomly been on the back of my office door since I moved to my school.  I now call the game Hook Ball.  The new basket placement also frees up floor space in my pretty small office...truly a win-win! Check it out:


3.Skill Practice Motivation:  I met with a student last week who needed to work on prosocial skills (hands to self, talking nicely, working appropriately in centers).  I wanted to make our skill practice more fun, so we turned it into a game.  Each time she got two frogs in the basket, we would stop, model, and practice one of the skills we were working on.  After she practiced, she got to take more shots.  It definitely made our session more enjoyable, and we still talked about her classroom progress while she was playing.

Do you have any other uses for clothes baskets? I would love to hear!  
Happy Counseling ~ Angela

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been thinking about doing a small group using the 7 Habits book for kids (considering making it a "book club" as well if I could get enough copies). I'd love some more information on how you structured this if you had the time: how were students selected, how many sessions per habit, and did you do any sort of evaluation (pre/post surveys with students or teachers, before or after test scores, etc.) on it? Thanks! cottrill . sara @ gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sara- I'd be happy to let you know how I structured things. I plan on doing some more posts on the School Success Groups I ran with the 7 Habits, especially with examples of activities/videos I used with the habits and resource websites where I found great stuff. It was the first time I have ever used the curriculum, and I really just used the first six habits. The 7th habit is "Sharpen the Saw". I felt like that pertained to more personal health and a balanced life outside of school, which is important, but not as school focused for my purposes. I will email you more info directly in the next week. Look for it by Monday or Tuesday. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,
    I love the goal setting ice breaker idea! This is my second year doing an "at risk" group for freshman students. I think it will help even my older students understand the importance of goals as we set them for there high school years. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. Kidd!!! I am so glad you can use the idea with your students. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...