Thursday, August 28, 2014

#FlatGroovyPoovey



I got to teach  my #FlatGroovyPoovey "Introduction to the School Counselor" lessons to second grade students this week, and it was SO FUN! They really enjoyed the Flat Stanley book, and I connected how Flat Stanley's feelings changed throughout the book just like ours will change throughout the year. I also compared the adventures we will have this school year to the amazing adventures that Flat Stanley had in the book.

 After finishing the book, students were able to come to the board for some interactive Smartboard activities like sorting between counselor behaviors (helping with problems, helping with reaching goals) and those that were definitely NOT counselor behaviors (yelling, suspending).  They also learned about the "adventures" we will have together like classroom lessons, individual and group counseling, and lunch bunches.

At the end, I pulled out the infamous Flat Groovy Poovey worksheet so I could check for
understanding and have them write down ways I can help them during the school year.  Knowing that every kid could write at least 2 ideas of how I will help them provided some process data, but I also collected perception data and did a pre/post survey to see how many students gained knowledge and knew the name of my job at the beginning and end of the lesson. I think it is extremely important that students have an understanding of who the school counselor is (NOT GUIDANCE COUNSELOR) and what she can help with during the year.



All in all, it was a blast to teach, and the kids got really excited when I gave them the parent letters explaining that I want them to take Flat Groovy Poovey on family adventures this year and email me pictures.  It will certainly be a memorable way to introduce myself to families that  may not know me yet. I am going to create a bulletin board that shares the family pictures I receive and will also Tweet them out. Check out the two I have already gotten- #FlatGroovyPoovey ziplining (my son's!) and having a sleepover with friends.  My Smartboard lesson and the Flat School Counselor worksheet can both be found on my Life on the Fly TPT store.  What fun "Introduction to the School Counselor" lessons have you been teaching???
                      Happy Counseling! ~ Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...