Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Starting A Book Club

One of the most fun groups I have done this year is a fifth grade boy’s book club. I had been wanting to start a book club for a couple of years but hadn’t been able to find an appropriate book that I thought was a perfect fit for my kids.  I “previewed” several books, but each one seemed to have inappropriate language or an inappropriate theme for elementary kids. After attending an NCCAT (NC Center for the Advancement of Teaching) seminar in Cullowhee, NC that was focused on themes of diversity, I finally found the PERFECT book:  Gifted Hands by Gregg Lewis and Deborah Shaw Lewis.  The book is a Zonderkids biography of the famous neurosurgeon, Dr. Ben Carson.  Along with highlighting Dr. Carson as a tremendous role model who showed PERSEVERANCE, SELF-DISCIPLINE, RESPECT, and RESPONSIBILITY, the group is working on improving literacy.  Each student is in charge of specific information such as biography timeline, characters/setting, page number tracker, and plot summaries (2 students).  I also consulted with one of my fabulous Title I teachers who gave me some reading strategies to incorporate into our sessions.  I always read aloud while the students are eating lunch, but we have a silent hand signal that serves as a cue for choral reading.  This reading helps the students practice their fluency without being singled out.  I often have students who volunteer to read paragraphs and want to read aloud, but I don’t want anyone to feel like our group is another class or that there is any pressure to read.
I am also enjoying bringing special treats to share with the group, although I do not bring something each time we meet.  Next week, I am bringing special gummy worms, which is an idea I found on Pinterest.  Check it out:
I don’t know if my fifth grade boys will think they are as cute as I do, but I’m sure they will enjoy eating them either way!
For all of you who are about to go on spring break, enjoy! I know you deserve this break and hope it is restful for you.

6 comments:

  1. I would be curious to learn more about how you set up your virtual book clubs. I LOVE this idea as so many parents are busy and the virtual set up allows them to access content when they can! My email is cldme56@hotmail.com, if you are willing to contact me with any details! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! I emailed you with some additional information. Let me know if you have other specific questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am wanting to use this book with a group of 5th/ 6th grade boys next fall. Do you have any lessons or activities that you did that you would be willing to share? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, thanks so much for purchasing my activity packs for my other books....I appreciate your interest!

      Delete
    2. Hey Melissa- I haven't created a book club activity pack for Gifted Hands yet. It is on my list of things "to do" this summer so check back at my TPT store in June or July for that resource. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...